Monday, December 1, 2008

Decking our halls......

We went tree shopping this weekend!



After shopping at three tree places,
we finally decided on a 7 foot
noble fir to decorate this year.


To our great pleasure,
only about 10% of our
Christmas ornaments were broken in the move
from Rhode Island to Washington.
Usually it's more like 75%
and we have to make a trip
to replenish them......
which is fun if you are a shop-a-holic
and like new and shiny things,
but it's not so great for
keeping traditions
and having a tree full of
passed down treasures.


One set has lasted through 16 years of moves though.
My mom bought this sports ornament set
when I was still in high school.
It was from one of those fund raiser magazines
that are full of holiday items.
Bren was so excited to
hang one of the soccer ball ornaments
from that set
this year!
You know, since she's a
soccer star and
everything.


Madison, Michael, Bren, David and I
adorned the tree
with enough sparkle and shimmer
to fill every branch!
It felt a little different this year
because Zach was at work
while we decorated.
Just a sign that
times they are a-changin.
We were very limited on time slots
to decorate this year,
because David deployed this morning
(he'll be home just in time for Christmas)
and there were so many other things
that needed to be done
to prepare for that.

So unfortunately
we had to pick a time that
didn't work for Zach.
He's 17 though,
so he'd rather walk into a fully decorated house
then have to actually do the decorating himself,
so it was all good.
We missed him though.



Every time we decorate a new dwelling
it takes a while for things to find their place.
Over the past few years,
we've found it difficult to establish an easy
transition from normal everyday decor to
our festive holiday decor
because
we've decorated a different house each time.
Often we are left with items that
just don't go in the new place,
or we put everything out and find that
it just doesn't look quite done.
That's where I am right now.
Something just isn't quite saying
"Merry Christmas, you are home!"
for me yet.
We don't really have the extra cash this year
to fix it like I want it,
but I'm thinking of doing a few crafts with Bren
and Madison
to fill in the gaps.

This is the first year we have had a mantle
to hang the stocking from!
So, naturally,
stocking holders were the first thing on my list
when we picked up a few Christmas items
for the house this year!
I'm going to go get some wooden letters
to paint gold and glue to the top of the plain holders.
It will say "REJOICE".
There are only 6 in our family,
but we'll hang an extra stocking
each year to fill for those who visit us for the holidays
or
if it's just us,
then we'll hang the extra one
to remember those who can't be with us.
This year the extra stocking will be filled
for my mom who flies in on Christmas Eve!!
Woot!!!!

I hope you like the
Christmas music I added to my blog.
The first song,
"How Many Kings"
by Down Here,
is my new favorite Christmas song!!
Here are the powerful lyrics....
*
Follow the star to a place unexpected
Would you believe after all we’ve projected
A child in a manger
Lowly and small, the weakest of all
Unlikeliest hero, wrapped in his mothers shawl
Just a child
Is this who we’ve waited for?
Cause how many kings, stepped down from their thrones?
How many lords have abandoned their homes?
How many greats have become the least for me?
How many Gods have poured out their hearts
To romance a world that has torn all apart?
How many fathers gave up their sons for me?
Bringing our gifts for the newborn savior
All that we have whether costly or meek
Because we believe
Gold for his honor and frankincense for his pleasure
And myrrh for the cross he’ll suffer
Do you believe, is this who we’ve waited for?
It’s who we’ve waited for
How many kings, stepped down from their thrones?
How many lords have abandoned their homes?
How many greats have become the least for me?
How many Gods have poured out their hearts
To romance a world that has torn all apart?
How many fathers gave up their sons for me?
Only one did that for me
All for me
All for you
All for me
All for you
*
What an incredibly awesome and unconditional
gift God's love for us is!
I'm so glad that He loved me enough to
step down from his thrown,
abandon his home,
become the least,
pour out his heart,
romance my world,
and give up his son,
all
for
me.








2 comments:

Laura said...

Gorgeous tree and I really like the mantle with the stockings. It just is all the more christmas-y. I like that you guys get a real tree. We have always had artificial ones.

When you said it felt different with Zach not being there and times changing thats what I am going through right now cause on christmas day my sister wont even be stopping in. Last few years she has been at her boyfriends families but would come in, this year with the new boy they will be out of town at his christmas so its kinda sad.

Happy thoughts...

Your house looks amazing! Love the pic of Bren kneeling at the tree I just really like that shot

JOY said...

Lovely! as ever You do a great job makeing your home so Christmas Sweet.It moves my heart to see Brendell holding the soccer ball which I so remember buying.XXOO
ps love your music!!!!