Thursday, April 30, 2009

Butt Busters!

For the record,
there is no way in heck
I would run at top speed toward something waist high
and then attempt to jump over it!

I have so much respect for those
who can hurdle!
Michael tried it for the first time a few days ago
and while he jumps a bit unconventionally,
he does clear the hurdles with ease.
And he actually LIKES doing it!
Yes, he is my son,
but I don't know where this gene came from!



Michael came in third in the 8th grade hurdles.
Madison and I held our breath the whole time.
We were afraid that he'd trip on one of them,
and we'd have to embarrass him by
frantically running onto the track to pick gravel out of his face!
But he flew over them like they were nothing.
Thankfully he remained gravel free all afternoon.
It was so fun to watch!



Michael also ran the boy's relay.
Here his team is strategizing over how they were going to run it.


It is a very strong team and
Michael ran the second leg of it.





His adrenaline kicked in
and he was able to give the third guy a nice lead.



I just love watching this boy run!
Love. It.

Michael's team came in first for the relay,
and Michael was so pumped!
He had told me earlier that he was not going to be running
the 200 like he had planned.
Some of you know that he fell in the hallway at school
a few weeks back and bruised/cracked his tailbone.
It kept him out of track for a week and a half,
and caused him to miss the first meet,
but he finally went back to practice and ran
a bit last Friday.
He still has alot of pain, but is able to push through it
most of the time.
When they called for the 200,
I saw him line up for it
and thought that he must have a boost in confidence
after that relay win
and maybe wasn't having as much pain as he thought he would.

He came in forth, but I could see that he wasn't really pushing it.
When I could see his face, I could tell that he was in alot of pain.

When he was showed his time,
I heard him say,
"That stinks! I couldn't run my best!"
As soon as the timer left, he went to his knees
and crawled to the sideline.
He was in so much pain!
Poor guy!

His coach brought him a bag of ice to sit on.
Madison ran right over to make sure he was OK.
I love seeing that sibling love in the middle of all the
"Michael SHUT-UP!"
and "Madison, you are so annoying"
rants that we get daily!


In classic Michael style,
he still manages a smile my way.
Gosh, I love him.
Ice-sitting.
It's not for whimps!

Michael's good friend,
(and a regular at our house)
Darien tried to comfort him.
Michael says it was on Darien's
"Come on man, you can do this
and you will score some points for us"
post-relay win cheers
that Michael decided he would run the 200.
So naturally Darien was the one to make sure Michael
got the ice bag immediately
and he sat with him until
Michael could get up.

Yeee-ouch!
If you know the pain of a bruised/cracked tailbone,
you can surely sympathize with this face!

After about 20 minutes,
and a sufficienty frozen derriere,
Michael was able to get up.
I'm so proud of the job he did!
He put his all into it despite being injured
and really did well without all engines firing.
He's a rock star, that boy.



6 comments:

Laura said...

MICHAEL MICHAEL MICHAEL MICHAEL WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! EVERYBODY DO THE WAVE!!!!......come on 1-2-3 and WAVE!!!

That's whats happening right now in Canada for you....okay well it's from one person but hey I have a big mouth so it sounds like alot more!.

Great job you ran hard and you can tell. Sheesh look at you jump, its no wonder you and Zach are pro dock jumpers and can clear girls sitting there with no clue what so ever about what is going to happen *giggles*

Glad you didn't eat gravel cause well ya know, that woulda sucked.

You are very much a rock star Michael. Awesome job out there.

Anonymous said...

Good for him! I remember when I was on the track team in hs, and I think it was Ms. Waters who was the coach, thought that I should be running hurdles in the meets because I am tall. I didn't want to, but she signed me up nonetheless. The first meet I came down on my ankle and twisted it on the first hurdle. I was so embarassed (and hurt), but I ran the rest of the race and came in way last! I didn't do a hurdles race again.

Becca said...

Oh my gosh! I think I remember you getting hurt on a hurdle! Were you on crutches or did you have your ankle wrapped for a bit?
I can't believe that Deedra Dean ran hurdles with her short little legs, but she sure did!
Total admiration!

TheCatLord said...

i didn't know mike ran track! i have 4 running this year and i am coaching the 5-8 year old boys( what was i thinking?)
good for him! i love seeing kids run track!

how dissappointed i am in america for putting adam in the bottom 3 and almost giving me a heart attack!!!

Jennifer L said...

Michael, Team Gigi missed you at the Race for a Cure this year. One of our team mates won 2nd over all, 16 min. Bet you could give him a run for his money. Maybe next year. Pencil us in for April 2010 and I'll save you a BooBies shirt.

JOY said...

Michael!!! I am on your team ,you have a gift,forget when Nana said stop running Michael XXOO