Tuesday, January 22, 2008


Sigh....so we are supposed to be in the air right now. All excited over what awaits us for the week ahead in Seattle. Full of wonder over all of the possibilities that we'd be faced with as we view a long list of rentals all over the area. We should be holding hands, giddy, feeling like we are on the honeymoon we never had....delighted to be away together to spend some one on one time before a seven month deployment.
We should be just about in Chicago right now for our three hour lay-over where we'd have deep dish pizza for lunch. We'd have fun just being together while waiting to board our second flight to Seattle where we'd pick up our rental car and make our way to our hotel. After dinner in Seattle, we'd spend lots of time going over our list of possible rentals and neighborhoods we wanted to check out.
That is where we should be, what should be happening...but here I am still sitting in my room dealing with day 23 of ankle injury/surgery recovery! I had a doctors appointment today and got to see where my scar will be once the surgical site heals. It isn't really that bad, but my swollen black and blue foot is pretty sad looking. I was fitted with a boot today and given the instructions to do as many foot flexes as I can to work on my range of motion. It is painful to flex my foot, but the more I do it, the more range of motion I will get.
I am allowed to rest my foot on the ground now for balance, but I'm still non-weight bearing. The Doctor wants me to be non-weight bearing for four more weeks and then I can gradually start putting more and more weight on it.
Right now, when I am up and around I'll need to wear the boot, but just sitting around in bed or on the couch, I wont need the boot and can work on flexes. The best news is that I wont need the boot to shower so the days of wrapping my foot up in a trash bag are over!
We cancelled our trip to Seattle yesterday. It was my choice. I just knew. Even if the doctor said I was cleared to go, I knew that I would be in too much pain and discomfort to enjoy it. I knew I would not be able to view the top floors of any of the 2-story houses we had chosen and that it would just be way too much hassel to crutch my way every where we went. I'm not one of those champion crutchers. I'm not graceful in them and I always look like I'm just one mistep away from wiping out on them.
It was my choice. But that doesn't make it any easier.
My mom and grandma are here. We booked their flights here to watch the kids while we were away. Now they are here to be my extra foot for the next two weeks as my mom put it and to take some of the burden off of David. I'm so thankful for their help. It is super, super hard to just sit here and watch them do all the things that I should be doing, but I know they are here because they love me, and I keep reminding myself that it's important to let them care for the family in my place. It's important that I heal and heal well. I've got a count down until David deploys and I need to be well by then.
I'll post some pics of the new "dork" boot soon! :)


Cheryl said...

Great update Becca! Say hi to your mom and tell her I miss her. Enjoy being taken care of. This is an opportunity in more ways than one.

momy4him said...

(((HUGS))) bec! hang in there girl!