Thursday, February 5, 2009

First Dance

The dry ice created a unique smelling haze
over the wood dance floor.
Twirling and swirling as
the strobe lights flashed
in synch with the pulsating beats of the music.
Older teens and 20 somethings
danced in crowded groups
to Paula Abdul's
Opposites Attract!

There I was with my newly permed hair
and my outfit from Express.
Just barely 20, hanging out with friends
and not at all looking for Mr. Right.

That's when I saw him.

He had on purple plaid
hammer pants
and a purple shirt.
And he was doing his thing on the dance floor!
He wasn't just a good dancer.
He was an incredible dancer!
So great in fact,
that he drew a crowd whenever he danced.
I would later learn that he was hired
by several local clubs to
"get the party started"
on their dance floors.

He was pretty fly for a white guy!

Almost as if on cue,
the first beats of a slow song
hummed through the speakers
and he asked me to dance.
The song that was playing was
Nothing Compares to You
by Sinead O'Connor.
Despite our height difference
we fit together quite well.

We spent the whole rest of the evening
talking and getting to know each other.
He tells me that he knew that night
that we were meant to be.
I took a little more convincing,
but 2 years and 3 months later,
I became his wife....

and the rest is history!


So, featured today on my playlist is the
song that started our love story.



(sorry, no photos from those times!
I guess I never hung out
with kids who had cameras
because I have like 4 photos from those years
and David isn't in any of them!
I guess we were too busy working by day and
having an insane social life by night...
and none of us thought it was worth capturing on film.
bummer!)

2 comments:

TheCatLord said...

i had to come out of google reader for this one so i could hear the song and imagine you and d dancing across the dance floor in 80's clothes, in a haze of dry ice! great post bec!!
miss ya!

Holly Anderson said...

I would give a million bucks for one shot of this! :-) Sean and I were high school sweethearts and are more in love every day! There is something to be said for the history that we share. I can't imagine my husband having a history before me!

We've always said by God's grace only did we together grow up and in the same direction.